Monday, May 5, 2008

ARE YOU NUTS?!?!?!


Noah's new favorite saying is "Are you NUTS??" after anything we say. The first couple times he said it were pretty funny, but now, like anything, after the lat 300 or so, it's getting a teeny bit tiresome. (But still pretty funny).
Noah had his first soccer practices this week-end. He is doing mini-kickers which is basically a little clinic where the kids (all 4 year olds) are on teams and they practice different soccer skills. Seth and I were actually pretty amazed at how well Noah was able to dribble and, most importantly, follow directions! He really loved it, so that was good.
I wanted to be sure to document in my blog how concerned I am right now with Ella's speech (or lack thereof), so that in a few months, I can look back and see how silly I was for being worried. Noah started talking at 8 months (although not overly well, obviously, but he did say 'ba' consistently for ball and book), and Ella has not said ANYTHING. She will sign "more" on occasion - if she feels like it- and she loves to say "yeah, yeah" and will mimic that if I say it, but that is all. She definitely makes her needs and wants known, and I know she is understanding what we say, so I'm trying to not compare her to Noah (she's walking much earlier than he did- so I guess it all evens out in the end) and I'm trying to be reasonable. I know she will talk in her own sweet time, she is definitely sassy and has her own agenda, so I shouldn't rush her or feel worried. It's so hard not to compare your kids to each other, though, I think because the way that Noah developed is all I've known, I guess I expect that to be the norm.
It has been good for me to see that all kids are definitely different. Ella is very loving and loves to snuggle and give hugs and kisses. I wouldn't trade that for the world. Her security item is my hair, so as soon as I pick her up (or really anyone picks her up) her hand is right in the hair. Her own hair is getting longer, soon she will be able to play with her own. She LOVES music and as soon as she hears some will dance and dance. She loves when I sing to her- which is funny because Noah never did- he would put his hand over my mouth if I sang to him- I"m really not a good singer. But Ella LOVES it- she will sit through book after book if I sing them, but if I just read them she is not at all interested. Noah was exactly the opposite.
Speaking of singing- Noah has just recently gotten into music because of music at preschool and can actually carry a tune now. We play "name that tune" and he can hum songs and I can actually pick out what he's humming. And he has a fantastic memory when it comes to lyrics and tunes. I can't carry a tune to save my soul, but I do remember songs and lyrics. I don't think Noah gets that skill from his daddy. Let's just say that Seth would not do very well on "Don't forget the lyrics".
I only have five more days of work left before summer. That is crazy- or should I say NUTS!??!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't it funny how they are all different? I am having the opposite experience with my 2 - Henry never uttered a word until well after he was a year old, but walked at 11 months. Georgie is not walking yet, but is already saying a few words. Crazy!
Cute pics by the way!