Sunday, September 7, 2008

Practice Photo Shoot








I'd been thinking that a long term goal for myself would be to do some photography as a side business. I thought that once the kids were in school, I could keep working as a school psych part time and in my extra time do portrait photography, mainly babies and kids, maybe some senior pictures, but not weddings ( I didn't want to be tied down on the week-ends). I thought that would give me a few years to get better, maybe take some classes, have time to gather equipment I would need, etc.


A couple weeks ago a coworker of Seth's asked if I will take their baby's 3 month photos. At first I was tempted to say no because I didn't think I was ready, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought "what the heck? gotta start somewhere". So I said I'd do it. I've been doing research like crazy and looking at other peoples' work for ideas, and I think I have a much better idea of what to do and not do.


I took these of Ella yesterday to practice some things with lighting and backdrops. She's such a funny model- she definitely has the posing thing down.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are great! I was just thinking after your last post that you should take portraits part-time or something, I would totally have you take my kids' pictures. I just got my camera today, I haven't had much time to play around with it but I'm hoping my shots start to look like yours soon! Did you take a class or anything?

Jennifer said...

Thanks Angela- What kind of camera did you get? I haven't taken classes (yet), but I've done a lot of self study by reading books, tutorials on the internet, etc.

Unknown said...

I got the Nikon D60 - just like yours I think. I did all the research online, in Consumer Reports, etc. and that seemed to be the best buy, although now that I have it I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the settings! I've been sticking with the green box for now but I would love to start experimenting with some different settings. Any websites that you would recommend?

Jennifer said...

There's a good digitutor on the nikonusa.com website- type in digitutor in the search and it just goes through the very basic settings of the D60. Then I read, and reread the manual a few times. I also just checked out a lot of books from the library about digital photography. I still shoot mainly in auto mode, although I'm trying to try some manual settings here and there. It's a great camera- have fun!!