Wednesday, March 11, 2009

When it Rains It Pours

We have had a serious string of unfortunate incidents at our house in the past couple days.... Seth was very sick with the stomach flu, the DVD player broke in my car (horrifying!!), so I had to take it right away to get fixed and was at the dealership for two days, the kids are getting colds so have been very fussy and crabby lately, our dishwasher is about to go kaput, work has been very stressful this week, and, last but not least, the straw that broke the camel's back, the thing that pushed me over the edge (just seeing how many cliches I can use) Noah lost his toothbrush. He likes to walk around the house as he brushes his teeth, and must have set it somewhere and now we can't find it anywhere. Normally, this would not at all be a huge deal, but, for some reason I just could not handle this fact and managed to get into a huge fight with Seth about it and the "fact" that I am the only person in the house who cares if Noah's teeth fall out or not and why is everything my responsibility and if I wasn't around to manage everything our children would have no teeth and probably head lice and ringworm and shingles and would eat pork rinds for breakfast and..... sigh. It's crazy looking back at the last couple days more rationally, how ridiculously irrational I can get when things are a little stressful. I'm normally a fairly sane person, but sometimes I just lose it when I feel like I don't have much control over things. Luckily, my wrath is usually directed to Seth and not the kids, and (fortunately for me, unfortunately for him) he is stuck with me and loves me enough to not run away with the kids or have me committed to a psychiatric institution.

In happier news, Noah had Kindergarten Round Up on Tuesday morning at Picotte and loved it. I was surprised that he was a little shy and nervous at first. I have never seen the kid be shy a day in his life. I think he saw some other kids being a little clingy and emotional, and he thought maybe he should be, too. Once they had the kids go into the kindergarten rooms with the current kindergarten students he was fine, and he had a very fun time. I kind of thought of this as a warm-up for the next round up at Grace Abbott. We are option enrolling him there, but won't find out if he gets in until April 10th, so we are going to both round ups just in case. Wherever he goes, I know he will LOVE school- he is so ready and so excited and I am excited for him. I was talking to the TAG consultant for the AEA today at a training we were both at and she was asking about some of the things he can do and she got me a little freaked out about how I need to make sure and advocate for him and make sure he is intellectually stimulated and so on. I hope that I will, but there's such a fine line between "advocating" and just being pushy and demanding. I hope I will be able to tell the difference.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ugh, I totally know what you mean about cumulative little things pushing you over the edge- we couldn't find a library book earlier this week which usually wouldn't bother me last week but I was searching for that thing like it was the holy grail.
I totally think Noah is gifted - you really do need to advocate for him! Being in schools, you know that those are the kids that are usually at the bottom of the priority list. So be pushy!! It's your turn. :)