Friday, April 17, 2009

Stranger Danger!!!

When I was little I was horribly, exruciatingly shy. My parents tell me that I did not speak in preschool until December. I didn't like being so shy- I hated it, actually- and I didn't want to be shy, but I couldn't NOT be shy. As I got into high school, my shyness was interpreted as aloofness and people thought I was stuck-up and snobby. I've grown out of it by now, but I still remember the feeling of wanting to be able to talk to people and join in things without feeling terrified, but just not being able to.

For five years now, I've marvelled at how opposite of shy Noah is. He does not have a shy bone in his body. He will talk (and talk and talk) to anyone who will listen. He loves to order for himself at restaurants and chat up the cashiers at stores and loves parties because he has a whole room full of people to interact with. I love that he is confident and not shy since I know what the alternative feels like.

There's a downside, however. I read in the paper a few days ago about an alleged attempted abduction where a man was asking kids if they had seen his dog (I later found out that he really did lose his dog- and apparently a few marbles- WHAT was he thinking???). Anyway, I had a bad dream last night about it and Noah, so when I woke up this morning I was thinking about it, and how Noah would probably help anybody who asked him and not be at all afraid.

Even though we have talked a lot about strangers and how he shouldn't talk to people he doesn't know unless mommy or daddy are with him, I decided to give him a little "test". While he was eating breakfast I asked him what he would do if he was outside playing in the yard and someone drove up and asked if he'd seen their puppy. He said "I'd say I hadn't seen it". I asked what he would do if they rolled down their window and asked him to come see a picture so he could see what the dog looked like. He replied "I'd go look at it so I could see if I had seen it and try and help". My heart sank. I proceeded to tell him that what he should do is scream "MOM" as loud as he can and RUN to find me and if the person really lost their dog, mommy would help. But would he really do that? He nodded solemnly and promised he would.

It's terrifying to me to think of all the what ifs and all the bad things that can happen. It's also hard because while I want Noah to continue to be confident and outgoing and friendly, I also want him to be safe. I wish I didn't have to teach him about strangers and bad things that strangers can do. I wish that I could always know that he will be safe no matter what and that no harm will come to him. Unfortunately, that's not the world we live in. I will keep talking to him about what to do and who he can and cannot talk to and hope and pray that he remembers what he needs to when he needs to remember it, but that that time never comes and he is safe and sound always. Isn't that every parent's wish?

1 comment:

Leslie said...

This blog entry...stressed me out! Although I certainly understand where you are coming from and what a scary world we live in. I am usually rolling around with laughter when reading your entries! Today is a solemn day :)