Last Wednesday was Noah's last day of Kindergarten. He had an amazing first year of his school career. His reading has taken off like rockets. He will tell anyone who asks him how school is that he is reading at a 5th grade level. (We have a little work to do on modesty). He had a fabulous teacher who was so warm and caring and went above and beyond to keep him challenged and work at his level. We loved her!
On the last day of school I told the kids they could choose where to go for lunch. To my chagrin they chose Burger King and wanted to play at the play area. I think about half of the Millard elementary schoolers also chose to go to the same Burger King. There were about 5.6 million kids in the play area (okay, maybe 12 or so) and one parent- me.
I was seriously regretting my decision to let the kids talk me into letting them play- it was so loud and crazy and hot in there. There was a little boy there about Noah's age with a pink polo shirt and spiked hair. Noah came over to me upset because he said that pink shirt boy was being mean to him and had stepped on his back when he had accidentally fallen down. At the end of my patience I told Noah he had three choices- we could leave, he could stay away from him, or he could tell him to knock it off.
After a few minutes, Noah and pink shirt came over to me and Noah said "mom, this is my new friend" and then they ran off to play. Later I asked him what happened and he said that he just went up to the boy and introduced himself and asked if he wanted to play with him. He said "mom, don't you know it's just easier to be friends with people than be mad at them?"
I learn so much from my smart boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment