Friday, September 4, 2009

Kindergarten is NOT optional

I went up to Noah's school yesterday to have lunch with him. When he saw me, he said "well this is an unexpected surprise!" His teacher laughed and said she's glad he's in her class because it's like having a grown up to talk to during the day.

As we were stuffed into the table eating (I ended up being seated by a very touchy-feely little kindergartener with Cheetoh fingers, oreos all over his face, and a runny nose who didn't yet understand the concept of personal space) Noah asked me if Kindergarten was optional. NO I replied. The goobery mess practically sitting on my lap asked "what's optiono?". Later Noah took a seed out of his orange and asked me if it was edible. Mr. Cheetoh asked "what's ebible?" I think I figured out the reason Noah prefers to hang out with 5th grade girls is because the kids in his class don't understand a word he's saying.

Later that night Seth and I went to Curriculum Night to find out what the kids actually do during the day. I was glad to find this out, because after talking to Noah it seemed as though the only things he did during the day were eat lunch, get a drink and "have fun". The teacher had some items that she was asking for parents to volunteer to bring. Seth decided that it would be fun for Noah to bring a hermit crab to school. I was leaning more toward paper plates, but I let him talk me into it. I draw the line with taking the thing home over Christmas break, however.

No comments: