Sunday, December 21, 2008

cookies, candles, and costumes















Friday was a snow day for us and Noah and Ella were seriously bouncing off the walls by 8:30 in the morning. I decided that baking some sugar cookies would help keep us occupied for awhile. So, for about a 1/2 an hour I attempted to mix the cookies with both kiddos, keep my patience, and maintain my sanity. I think I was talking in a voice 4 octaves higher than my normal voice in my attempts: "Ella, honey, please don't put your hands in the flour jar", "Noah, use a tissue to wipe your nose, not your sleeve, sweetie", "Ella, we don't put our fingers in the mixer when it's turned on sweet pea"...... etc. Lord have mercy on a mother's soul. That's one of my mantras lately, and I was repeating it in my head during our entire snow day. The kids had fun with the beaters, and Noah and I did have fun cutting out the cookies while Ella was napping. Then, we were able to decorate them with Seth after Ella went to bed for the night. I frosted them while Noah did the sprinkles. He put each color on each cookie, which made for VERY colorful cookies with A LOT of sprinkles. All in all, it was fun for the kids, and, even though it was A LOT of effort, I'm glad I worked so hard to keep my patience in check so the kids can have good memories of baking cookies together.


On Saturday Seth's family came over to celebrate his mom's birthday. Seth made brunch and we had egg casseroles, muffins, and fruit, and it was delicious!


This morning Noah had his Christmas program at Sunday School. He was a shepherd and was excited that he got to carry a staff. They sang a few songs before mass started and then recited the Our Father. Well, one little girl recited the Our Father. The rest all started out strong, but by the end were just moving their mouths, looking around the church, and adjusting their costumes or picking their noses.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This post totally made me laugh - sometimes when you do stuff like bake and decorate cookies with your kids do you wonder, "what on earth am I thinking??" This year I did a LOT of baking after the kids went to bed. Looks like your cookies turned out good though!