Anyone who's a mother knows that moms cannot be sick. There's always too much to do, things to take care of, children to entertain etc. So, we moms, of course, do get sick from time to time, but we just muddle through it, pretend we are fine, and take care of the things we need to do.
That theory flew out the window for me this week-end. I went to bed feeling fine Friday night, maybe a bit run down, but who isn't by the end of the week? I fell asleep thinking of all the things we had going on for the week-end: I had a photo shoot on Saturday morning with a friend from book club, Noah was having a friend over Sat. afternoon for a play date, I had to get the house cleaned up because we were having a Superbowl party on Sunday, and Seth had to work all week-end.
I woke up at 5:00 Saturday morning feeling like I was going to throw up. I went into the bathroom and gagged a little, and then felt really woozy like I was going to pass out. I apparently stood up to try to go lay down in bed, but instead passed out against the bathroom door. I must have hit my face because I have a bruised forehead and cheek today, and I apparently hit my head, because it hurt really bad. I was laying against the closed door, so Seth couldn't open it to come in after he heard the crash. Somehow, he pushed his way in and helped my get to bed, where I laid shivering uncontrollably. My head, neck, and lower back hurt like heck and I couldn't even function. Not to mention the loss of bodily functions that occurred when I passed out. Man, I wish Depends were more comfortable so I could just wear them all the time in case of unfortunate events!! I told Seth we had to go to the ER, so he called his mom who came over to watch the kids, bless her.
When we got there, they did some x-rays to make sure I hadn't broken anything- I hadn't- so they determined that I had some sort of virus-like stomach bug and sent me home with some anti-nausea drugs. I took those suckers religiously every four hours, and then slept for 4-5 hours at a time all day. Seth ended up staying home with the kids, and needless to say, the photo shoot, playdate, and party were all cancelled. So much for "faking my way through it" like I do with most illnesses, this one kicked my you-know-what. I'm feeling better today, still a little shaky, but I'm able to function and get out of bed. My mom is watching Noah all day, bless her, so I have one less kid to chase around.
This week-end definitely reminded me that, no matter what plans you may have, no matter how much you have to do, there are some things you just cannot control and sometimes you just need to stay in bed and sleep all day if that's what it takes because that's all you can do. Luckily for us moms, those times are far and few between.
2 comments:
Ugh- I hope you are feeling better, what an ordeal! I am sick today and while I can stray a few yards away from the bathroom it's a challenge. Hopefully you are doing better now!
Oh Jennifer - wow. What a crazy episode! I'm glad you're better now!!! Jen
Post a Comment